I recently put together this Home Energy Efficiency Checklist to help homeowners optimize their energy consumption and reduce their energy bills.
I designed it as an easy-to-use guide for periodically examining your home to find energy-wasting trouble spots. It also includes some preventative maintenance tips that will help you avoid problems before they happen.
- Check your heat and A/C systems.
- Check windows and outside doors for drafts.
- Check furnace switch, fuse and breakers.
- Check furnace blowers, oiling motor and changing belt if necessary.
- Check thermostat accuracy by taping thermometer to wall next to it. If discrepancy, have it re-calibrated by a technician.
- Check central air condensing unit for obstructing leaves and debris, and hose out if necessary.
- Keep shrubs pruned back to maximize airflow.
- Check room A/C condensate drain outlet for plugging.
- Check and clean/change room A/C filters.
- Check room A/C condenser coils.
- Check furnace filter and change if clogged.
- Check insulation for type/thickness, beginning in attic/top floor. Upgrade if inadequate.
- During humid weather, check central A/C condensate drain to ensure it is carrying off excessive moisture.