1. Splash-test an inconspicuous area for water absorption (if the water penetrates into the wood it needs to be protected).
2. Wet the plant life around deck and cover it to protect against product run-off.
3. Wear old clothes, protective glasses and gloves.
4. Clear the deck of all furniture and decorative items.
5. Clean with the most effective solutions like a product called Thompson's WaterSeal Heavy Duty Deck Cleaner. This product label recommends agitation with a deck brush following the application.
6. Rinse with a garden hose or pressure washer and wet the plant life after cleaning process.
7. Repair loose screws or damaged boards on deck surface.
8. Allow deck to dry for a few hours.
9. Protect the finish and your work, with another top-selling DIY product called Thompson's WaterSeal Advanced Formula. It is available in clear, honey gold, nutmeg brown, and natural cedar finishes.
10. Clean up all equipment with soap and water.